Elon Musk adds to Twitter’s uncertainty with a strange tweet about Pelosi’s attacker, which then disappears.
The Elon Musk Twitter the saga is getting weirder and weirder. Days after Musk finally took control of the social media platform, he fired off a tweet from a dubious source about the man who violently attacked Paul Pelosi, the husband of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.
Then his tweet, which he posted earlier on Sunday, disappeared later in the day.
Amid many doubts about where Musk will take Twitter, the sequel only deepened the uncertainty.
Musk was responding to a tweet from Hillary Clinton, which he shared a Los Angeles Times article about the suspect, 42-year-old David DePape, who became immersed in conspiracies right online. She wrote: “The Republican Party and its spokespersons regularly spread hate and deranged conspiracy theories. It is shocking, but not surprising, that violence is the result.”
Musk responded, “There’s a small possibility there could be more to this story than meets the eye,” including a link to an article claiming the attacker was someone Paul Pelosi met at a gay bar.
It was then widely reported that Musk deleted his tweet, causing a disappointed Twitter user to write“Never give in to the leftist mob. Never!”
So HuffPost tweeted an update to his report about the incident, writing: “UPDATE: Elon Musk, the new CEO of Twitter, had his own tweet removed from the platform after pushing a false conspiracy theory about the recent life-threatening attack on the husband of Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi.”
luck reached out to Twitter to clarify how the tweet was deleted but did not receive an immediate response.
A Twitter user joked Musk“You know he’s just going to say this was a test.”
Leery of Twitter under Musk
However the incident unfolds, it will do little to instill confidence among Twitter’s many users –among them celebrities, legislators, and advertisers-apprehensive of where Musk will take the platform.
The acquisition of the company of 44 billion dollars of the drama Musk was finalized on Thursday, and so far there is little sign of calm that has been established. Trolls quickly flooded the platform with offensive slurs and anti-Semitic memes after Musk — a self-described “free speech absolutist” — took control.
The Network Contagion Research Institute, a social media research company, said that the use of the N word spiked 500% on Twitter in the 12 hours after Musk took control. LeBron James called the news “Scary AF,” adding, “So many damn inappropriate people saying hate speech is free speech.”
In response, Musk shared a tweet from a Twitter employee who read, “Almost all of these accounts are not authentic. We have taken action to ban users involved in this trolling campaign – and we will continue to work to address this in the coming days to make Twitter safe and welcoming to all.”
Not everyone is convinced.
Although Musk was quick to reassure advertisers that the platform would not become a “free-for-all hellscape,” General Motors said to pause advertising on Twitter, adding, “We are engaged with Twitter to understand the direction of the platform under its new ownership.”
And yesterday Shonda Rhimes, the screenwriter and producer behind hit shows like Scandal and Grey’s Anatomytweeted that she will leave the platformwrote: “Don’t wait for whatever Elon has planned. Let us know.”
Amid the uncertainty, Musk’s odd and short-lived tweet will likely do little to reassure doubters.
This story was originally submitted Fortune.com
More from Fortune:
#Elon #Musk #adds #Twitters #uncertainty #strange #tweet #Pelosis #attacker #disappears