NASA orders press not to photograph launch site after lunar mission takes off
What do they not want us to see?
No photos, please
NASA then banned the press from photographing the launch site of its Space Launch System it boosted those of the agency Artemis I moon mission into space earlier this week.
Multiple space reporters said on Twitter that the agency sent them a message saying they were prohibited from photographing the Artemis 1 launch tower after launch.
“NASA gave no reason,” said Eric Berger, Ars Technica‘s senior space editor, tweeted. The reporter added that, according to his sources, the ban was apparently an attempt to save face after the launch damaged the tower.
“So now sources are saying yes, Launch Complex-39B tower was damaged during the Artemis I launch on Wednesday morning,” Berger tweeted. “Basically, there were leaks and damage where there shouldn’t have been any leaks and damage.”
Later, Washington Post space reporter Christian Davenport posted a statement from NASA that seemed to confirm Berger’s sources, though he stressed there was “no word of damage” to the launch pad.
“Due to the current state of the configuration, there are [International Traffic in Arms Regulations license] restrictions and photos are not allowed at this time,” read the statement given to Davenport. “There is also launch debris around the platform, as expected, and the team is currently assessing.”
Whatever NASA’s reasoning, it’s pretty clear the agency doesn’t want any unapproved photos of her expensive and outdated Space Launch System rocket goes to the public. NASA likes positive publicity, it seems – but not negative.
More about the launch of Artemis 1: NASA says it’s a good thing some pieces fell off the moon rocket during the launch
#NASA #orders #press #photograph #launch #site #lunar #mission #takes