Trump is asking the Supreme Court to block House Democrats from receiving tax returns
Former President Trump filed an urgent petition with the Supreme Court on Monday Temporarily block a house committee from obtaining his tax returns.
The big picture: Trump has been fighting for years to block the release of his tax returns to the House Ways and Means Committee.
- His request comes after a federal appeals court last week denied the former president’s request to block the publication of his tax returns, CNN reports.
Driving the news: “This case raises important questions about the separation of powers that will affect any future president,” Trump said submission.
- The filing argues that the House Committee collects its tax returns for the sole purpose of “releasing the President’s tax information to the public.”
- “The committee’s purpose in requesting President Trump’s tax returns has nothing to do with funding or personnel issues [Internal Revenue Service]”, says the file.
- “No Congress has ever exercised its legislative powers to require a president’s tax returns,” Trump’s team wrote.
- Trump asked the court to grant “an administrative stay” of tax returns through Wednesday, “and then stay issuing the mandate pending the filing and disposition of an application for a deed,” the filing said.
Something to see: If the Republicans win control of the House of Representatives next week midterm electionscould they abandon the Ways and Means Committee’s year-long effort to get Trump’s tax returns, CNBC Remarks.
go deeper… House Oversight reaches deal with Trump to obtain ‘key financial documents’
#Trump #Supreme #Court #block #House #Democrats #receiving #tax #returns